Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Settling In

This week I have started to find my place here in Jos. On Saturday, a fellow sports friend worker and I coached a group of about twelve ten year olds in basketball. A woman named Faith meets with these children twice a week to learn basketball and learn about God. Saulomon and I were in charge of running drills for the kids and encouraging them, and halfway through a man named David, who works for AWANA, presented the story of Jesus feeding the five thousand to them. David was skilled at involving the kids in his teachings, and I was impressed with how well prepared he was for the lesson. Saulomon and I will be working with the same set of kids on Tuesday and Saturday afternoons, and with an older group of kids on Monday and Wednesday mornings.
Aside from work, I have also begun to find my place among the missionaries. My apartment building consists of a few other single missionaries, who spend much time together whether it be meals, devotions, or leisure time. Yesterday, we went swimming at one of the local hotel pools, and in the evening we shared a meal then had a short time of devotion and prayer. All of this is an answer to many prayers, and I am looking forward to seeing more of God's work!
P.S. I am planning on posting pictures soon, just this morning the computer deleted all of my pictures so I need to take more!

1 comment:

  1. I think what your doing is great Sterling, but being the eternal pessimist that I am, I want you to be sure and keep yourself safe. I'm gonna miss you at thanksgiving but I know you will be well taken care of. If there is anything you need or I can do let me know.
    we love you and take care
    Your Uncle Ronny

    ReplyDelete